Saturday, July 10, 2010

Perfection

I have always been a perfectionist be it in my homework, drawings, handwriting (apparently it so neat and symmetrical that no one can read it), and the way I put and arrange things and etcetera etcetera. And I definitely have to admit that I am somewhat OCD. As I was reading a book titled “If I Really Wanted to Beat Stress I would…” given by a friend it hit me that one of biggest stressors was indeed my perfectionism. 

It was then that I realized I really needed to redirect my focus as it’s really wearing me out at this point of my life. I seriously thought of some ways to overcome this with some research done of course. So here’s what I came up with. Hope it helps other struggling perfectionist out there like me.
  • Wanting perfection all the time can seriously cause things to end up unfinished or undone. And I often find myself some excuse to procrastinate because of it. So start by acknowledging something call good enough. Nothing is ever perfect so aim for good enough outcomes. Trust me you’ll see how much it helps.
  • Recognize that nothing is perfect in this world!!!! Because in reality perfection will cause you more harm than good and adds extra stress that may affect your productivity and so on. Bring your expectations down.
  • Do not ever compare your work to someone else’s work. As that my lead you to feeling inferior. Note that there is always someone else out there who is better than you. Be grateful for what you can do compare yourself to yourself to see how much you have improved.
  • Understand that you are only human so is everyone else around you. Everything and everybody are not flawless. So accept the fact that sometimes things would go wrong and not the way we want it to.
  • Realize that there is always room for improvement but things can NEVER be perfect. Consequently know that you would never be rejected because you are not perfect. Life is never perfect and some imperfections are vital for the whole so deal with it.

“People throw away what they could have by insisting on perfection, which they cannot have, and looking for it where they will never find it.”
Edith Schaeffer

can't believe I'm actually blogging about perfection at this hour. ZzzzZ

xoxo,
-R- 

No comments: